and other fun stuff

Google
Get Firefox!

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Ginormous underground mushroom

I guess this is somewhat interesting, but what really made me think WTF was the last section:

Genetically Closer to People


In other research, scientists have determined that fungi are more closely related to human beings and animals than to other plants.

Moreover, while humans and most species are divided into only two sexes, mushrooms contain over 36,000 sexes.


I'm not sure what this means or why they didn't elaborate on this. Fungi are like people??? And from where did they pull out 36,000 sexes?? How does that work? I don't remember much about fungi reproduction from high school bio class, but I believe it involved either asexual reproduction or spores, depending on the fungi type or something...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Leave me comments..about anything
  • Look at comments
    ARCHIVES
  •